Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Life in Nong Khai

Hello Again!

I'm sure many of you have been hearing about the political unrest in Thailand.  There have been a lot protests and demonstrations but the majority of them are peaceful.  However, it's usually only the violent ones that make the international news so it must seem like we are in a lot more danger than we actually are.

Right now my study abroad group is Nong Khai.  It is a small town alongside the Mae Khong river.  We are right on the border of Laos near it's capital, Vientiane.  It's pretty quiet there isn't a lot to do in the actual town, but we are safe here.  We have been here the last few weeks because Cal Poly risk management felt that Bangkok was not safe enough and they were probably right.  Although a lot of the violence is isolated in a square where the red shirt protests are, there still have been many civilian injuries and deaths. 


On a lighter note, here are some pictures I that I have taken of the Mae Khong river over the last few weeks.  It has been so awesome to walk down the street and see such beautiful scenery everyday. 





Although I haven't written a blog in a long time I still have been taking lots of pictures and have many stories from my adventures here in Thailand, would anyone like me to continue to write some blogs about things that I have done even if it's after I'm back from the program?  Let know what you think!

Michelle <3

No comments: