Monday, April 19, 2010

Chiang Dao Caves

 Hello again!

As part of our road trip during Songkran week we visited the caves at Chiang Dao.  We had to pay to enter and then a tour guide with a lantern led our group through the passage ways.  There were some rooms that were so gigantic and the walls so detailed and intricate that I felt like I was inside of a cathedral of rock. 









There were several cave formations that we saw that have been named for their shape.  This one, for example, is called baby elephant because of the way it looks.  Unfortunately I don't know how to say baby elephant in Thai, but I do know that word for elephant is pronounced "chong."











I thought that it would be pretty cold in the caves because they are underground and all the other caves I have been inside of have been cold so I wore pants.  Unfortunately, it was not any cooler inside because it was extremely humid.  The air felt really thick and I think I actually sweat more and felt hotter inside of the caves than I did outside because of the humidity. 



 
We walked through the caves for a while, as far as the guide would let us, and then we also walked down another path to what we found out was a shrine with Buddha statues. 














Outside of the caves we saw these beautiful temples but we weren't sure what they were for or if we could go inside so we just took pictures.  I had a great time exploring the caves at Chiang Dao and I am glad that we made it one of our stops on the road trip. 

That's all for now!

Michelle <3

No comments: