Monday, April 19, 2010

A Typical School Day at Chiang Mai University



Hello again!

I hope everyone had a great last week and weekend!  I had so much fun on our Songkran break, we went on a road trip around places in northern Thailand.  I will definitely write all about it later but first I wanted to share a little bit about what it's like to go to school here in Chiang Mai.













All of our classes are in the Humanities building on the Chiang Mai University campus.  Since it is a good ways from Uniserv (where we are staying) we take songtaos to and from the school.  Some people from our group have scooters so they can drive themselves, and the majority of the university students drive scooters too, as you can see from the picture of the parking lot.  









Once we get to the building there is usually already a long line for the elevator, especially since one of them has been out of order for a while now.  Our group usually runs late too so we take the stairs, all the way up to the seventh floor!  It is quite a long walk and I'm pretty tired once I reach the top. 













Our classes are two and a half hours each with usually a ten or fifteen minute break in the middle to get something at the coffee shop on the ground floor or at the Student Service Center store across the street.  On "A" days I have PSY 311 Environmental Psychology from 1-3:30pm and on "B" days I have PSY 350 Teamwork from 9:30-12pm and on Mondays-Thursdays we either have our Thai Language class or a guest lecture from 3:30-5pm.  I took the picture on the right today while our Thai Language professor was writing something for us on the board.  Since it would be too difficult to learn all of the Thai characters in this short amount of time he teaches us using English alphabet phonetics so that we can learn how to pronounce the words. 










It seems like its a long day at school but it actually goes pretty quickly because I am really enjoying my classes and we do a lot of class discussions and group work.  When we get back we usually walk down to the main street near Uniserv and find a place to eat dinner. 

Okay that's all I can think of to say about school but feel free to ask me any questions about anything!

 Michelle <3

No comments: